Friday, March 9, 2007

OUR NEW VEGGIE GARDEN



We finally got done building the veggie beds. I dug a hole 6ft by 20 ft. Laid down chicken wire to *hopefully* keep the gophers out. Peter built 4 boxes for me out of cedar. 3 of them are a6ft by 6ft. The one closest to the fence is 3 by 3...strawberries from my Dad's garden are in that one. The box next to the strawberry planter is fully planted with seeds (some spaces are left open to for a consistent supply). That bed has baby bibb lettuce, spinach, mesculan mix of lettuce, radishes, bush snow peas and some sweet baby carrots. The bed next to that one has sugar snap pole beans and some carrots seeds so far. I have some seeds started inside to plant in the other boxes but have heard it is best to wait to plant in our area (Humboldt County, ca) at the end of March. Started inside: bush cukes, zuchinni, basil, cilantro, and some cosmos to plant elsewhere. I put some rocks and bricks on the end, hoping to disperse the water that collects there. Our house is lower than the other houses so I yard gets all of the water run-off. We call our driveway "Lake Brown".





A close up one of the boxes...




Peter built these out of cedar. 2x6's with 1x2's in all four corners for support. We are hoping they will at least last 5 years because we spent a good $100 on the supplies. Peter picked up a compost/ dirt mix from a local supplier for $45. The dirt here is awesome...soft, full of worms, dark so I plan on starting a compost bin for next year. I have access to yard clippings from Peters work and a local vet has a place where you scoop horse poop. Yeah.





Freecycle fence.....
You gotta love freecycle. Someone posted a huge section of a regular 6 foot fence. Peter went a got it for me (gotta love him too), dismantled it, denailed it, cut it and renailed it with the salvaged nails. He had to go and get some clamps because it is staked in the ground with metal poles about 3 feet deep. Supplies as well as a rental of a post hole digger were under $20 I believe. We had to put the fence up to keep our dog from walking all over the garden. I have a nice sized area to do more boxes but for now I am going to stick with what I have got. SO many people keep wishing my luck gardening here with the gophers and dampness. I will not let all of the neagative comments stop me though! When there's a will there is a way. I am determined....

Street view.......

....... A view from the street so you can get a better idea of the space I have. Am guessing it is about 15 feet x 30 feet??? I have the whole yard to do too but this is my place where I don't have to worry about the kids or dog trampling all over my babies. This is really our back yard. Our yards are set up wierd.

No comments:

Past ramblings....